From time to time I will post themed lists of books I have enjoyed and recommend. So to kick things off, in honour of Canada Day, here are a few of my recommendations of books by Canadian authors:
1. When The Saints by Sarah Mian – A great debut novel about a woman named Tabby and her relationship with her dysfunctional and struggling family. It’s wonderfully written and engaging.
2. Still Life by Louise Penny – The Chief Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny is my favourite mystery series. If you love mysteries, I think you will find this series to be a page-turning and entertaining read. “Still Life” is the first book in the series, and a great place to start.
3. Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – One of my favourite novels this year “Signal to Noise” is a story of magic, music, love, friendship and forgiveness.
4. Book of Longing by Leonard Cohen – A collection of poems “that is timeless, meditative, and at times darkly humorous.”
5. An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield – Former Commander of the International Space Station, Chris Hadfield provides inspirational stories of his journey and experiences as an astronaut, relating them to “how earthbound humans can use it to achieve success and happiness in their lives.”
Happy Canada Day!